In our fast paced tightly scheduled world many forget to slow down and take quiet time in their lives. We tend to get ungrounded and run around getting stressed over schedules, appointments, kid’s activities, our activities, etc. We allow very little “breathing space” for in between activities. In our competitive & consumer focused society most want to keep up with the Jones’ and better their lives economically. Parents also want to make their lives better for their kids. The one positive thing Covid did do is to help people “slow down”. We had no choice. Yet as a counselor a big complaint and stress I heard from many clients is they didn’t know what to do with the extra time. It actually caused them anxiety as it was so different to move and go slower. I find that interesting.
The title of my article comes from a quote of the late American author and spiritual leader Ram Dass who is best known for his book “Be Here Now”. Ram Dass was one who advocated being present and more at ease and happy by letting go of our worries. This is the focus of my article also. First and foremost, it is essential to slow down and take time to be quiet. When we talk about the more we can “hear” when we are quiet, it is referring to two main things. First is deep listening. And the second is “hearing” our own intuition to help us make better decisions.
Deep listening is about being present with another and letting go of your thoughts and really focusing on what the other is saying without thinking about how you are going to respond or without judging the other. Many times when we listen we are also thinking, and in fact, we are not present. Sometimes our thoughts of course can be for the benefit of the other, yet many times our constant inner chatter of our mind filters anything we are hearing. A good technique is breath, breathing very deeply, grounding yourself and start to see behind your eyes. Turn down the intensity of thought. Focus very clearly on what the other is saying. You will be amazed at how much clearer you can hear and also the person whom is talking will notice the difference. My steps below go through the specifics of how to quiet the mind and ground.
The second aspect of “hearing” is when we are quiet with our intuition. Our intuition is twofold. It is our inner voice and it is our connection to the larger energy field of the universe. Intuition comes from a larger knowledge base that has nothing to do with education or intelligence. It has to do with universal energy and Spirit or Source. It is that larger knowing that guides us to be compassionate people and make decisions that benefit all. We see the unity of it all. When we are not quiet and are stressed with schedules we are not as able to tap into this energy. When we learn to ground and quiet the mind, then connect to the higher mind and divine presence, we suddenly are opened up to a larger world that is beyond the physical. We can hear a larger knowing and find our answers there. By quieting our mind we are able to do this.
Here are some helpful steps to help you with quieting the mind so you can hear.
Steps to Help Quiet the Mind
1) Get Grounded with the Earth – Ground deeply with the earth every day. Visualize going deep in to the earth and connecting with that energy. Bring it back up into your body and feel the flow between you and the Earth.
2) Stop the Noise – Let go of the constant chatter of the mind and of ego. By letting this go and turning the volume down of thinking we can better hear our Intuition and that of the Cosmos and Universe.
3) Be Present – Focus on your breath and breathe in and out, letting go of any distractions. Let go of the noise and thoughts and gently come back to the breath of being present.
4) Get Connected to your Intuition, Higher Mind and Source – Connect with your chakras and eventually go to the 3rd Eye and Crown Chakra. This helps you connect with the higher realms. With your focus on the 3rd eye chakra ask to activate your intuition and release any filters and beliefs that are holding the truth back or clouding your judgment. Let this go and focus on connecting to the larger universe, to Source, to Spirit, and connect to that energy.
5) Meditate – As you start to ground, let go of the blocks and filters, and connect to Source. Start your focused meditation. Have a beginner’s mind, let go of distracting thoughts and tune into the universal energy of unlimited abundance and divine presence. The best way is to focus on oneness and love. The unity of all.
6) Ask and Listen – As you connect ask positive questions about your life and path. Ask about your spiritual path and your life purpose. Surrender and ask how your gifts will emerge to help the greater good. Come from a place of availability and openness. Avoid victim mentality. Ask positive affirming question to the universe. Like “How will my vision emerge?” or “How will I utilize my gifts and talents to help the greater good?” Ask these types of empowering questions, then be silent and listen. Take a few days and listen. The answer may come in a different form – words, symbolism, voice, dreams, a sign or a waking vision. Be open to the answer. This is where we go back to being quiet. Be quiet each day so you can hear source or spirit talking to you. And it may take a different form, just be more silent and listen. That is the key.
I hope this article was helpful to you. If you have any further questions please contact me. I’m always happy to answer questions and steer you in the right direction. Check out my various classes, articles and videos. I offer further in-depth study workshops and retreats. I’m here to help in your awakening. Blessings.
Ready to start the journey with Quieting the Mind ? Please sign up on my free mindfulness email list.
Sign up now – Free Mindfulness Updates Sign Up – with my Bonus Free eBook “30 Steps to Conscious Living”. You will receive free valuable articles, videos, courses and other updates to help you on your path – If you sign up now you will receive my Free popular eBook “30 Steps to Conscious Living”.
Brian Heater – Mindfulness Coach, Counselor, Author – Transformingourselves.com