Sacred Silence – The Importance of Quiet Timeand Silence in our Lives
In our fast paced society many of us often forget about the importance of taking time to be quiet. We get caught up in our busy lives, trying to meet deadlinesand get tasks completed. Our electronic devicesand social media further distract us as we find less time to find peace within ourselves. It is important to remember that silenceand quiet time is a key to our personal well-beingand overall health. It also gives us time to rest our mindsand go within. This is where we can connect with the energy of the universeand with our spiritual side. By going within, being mindfuland letting go of outside distractions, we connect with both our deeper selfand inner wisdom. By doing so we begin to relaxand open up a whole new world to explore. This surrendering is what I call ‘sacred silence’. It changesand heals us in many ways. This time of silence connects us to a larger consciousness. It awakens yourself to love more than ego which is a key to our new consciousness. This new paradigm is what many call soul-based or heart-centered living. This small shift towards allowing yourself more quiet time can change your life in amazing ways.
We should also look atand honor the space between words. It is said that much of our communication is the energy that we convey unseen or unheard. People senseand feel this energy as its vibrations are as strong as words. When we tap into our silence we become connected with spiritand the universal energy field. This elicits a higher vibration. It also helps align our consciousand subconscious minds. With this vibrationand alignment you also begin to allow the law of attraction to do its work, you start manifesting that what you thinkand feel. Silence allows us to tap into that deeper awarenessand consciousness that so many of us are seeking. Without time to be quiet our spiritual health will be out of balance. We need to take time to commune with sacred silenceand spirit. Be still. Be silent. This is where the answers flow from your inner voice, from spirit,and from the universe.
Steps to take to help with Silence.
- Take time each day to meditateand be quiet – Morning is a great time. 5-15 minutes is all you need before you start your day. The evening can also be an important time, before you go to bed or after work. Have a personal ritual, light a candle, burn some sage or put on meditative music. Have a special saying or prayer to get you focused, then surrenderand go within…quieting the mind.
- Breathe – Take deep meaningful breathes throughout the day to slow downand silence the chatter in your mind. Breathe in, then outand repeat for 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Let go of the current stress or scheduleand just be present with your breath.
- Create Stillness & Space – Between your thoughts of everyday tasksand duties try to spend time creating silence. This can be in a longer mode such as meditation or it can be a quick 10 second breathand stillness. A simple mantra or prayer with a deep breath can be helpful to create this space.
- Listenand Allow – When you take time for silence, even small moments of time, you are allowing yourself to listen to that deep inner voice. This is the voice of intuitionand spirit. It is the voice of the universe. When you connect with this energy it makes your life more meaningfuland conscious.
- Quiet the Chatterand Noise – There is so much activity around us. When we can go to a place of silence we quiet the ongoing noise, even if only for a few minutes. This creates a space of rejuvenationand reflection, which open us up to the larger energies of the universeand spirit. This opening is not only good for your well-being, it makes you a more calmand mindful person.
- Open the window of your heartand listen to spirit – We need to connect with spirit in our own way. Everyone has a personal way to connect to the universe. Find your wayand let go. When you silence the mind, focus some of that time opening the heart. Visualize your heart chakra opening upand connecting to spirit. Put out some special prayers or affirmations that are heart-centered. This connects us to unityand love with all.
- Deep Listening – When you let goand are silent you are listening deeply. This is when you connect to your intuitionand to the universe. Deep listening is about letting go of the egoand becoming more heart-centeredand soul-based. This means letting go of judgment, worries, fears,and surrendering to the present.
- Utilize Nature to Inspire Sacred Silence – Nature is one of our best teachers. We can utilize the powerfuland healing elements of Mother Earth. Being silent in nature is one of the most effective ways to be mindfuland listen to that inner voice of yourselfand the universe. Visually nature is soothingand in balance so it relaxes us into a quiet state. It also inspires us to go deep within with reflection, prayer or meditation. Get out in nature with a nice walk, or go to a natural area close by, even your backyard or a park can be quietand healing.
The most important thing you can do is just take some time to be quiet. Small stepsand brief moments of silence are a great start. With any change taking small steps helps you change the course in your life. With regular practice you will then begin to notice differences that will awaken youand change your life.
Ready to start the journey with sacred silence? Please sign up on my free mindfulness updates list.
Sign up now – Free Mindfulness Updates Sign Up with my Bonus Free eBook “30 Steps to Conscious Living”. You will receive free valuable articles, videosand other updates to help you on your path – If you sign up now you will receive my Free popular eBook “30 Steps to Conscious Living”.
Brian Heater – Mindfulness Coach, Counselor, Author – Transformingourselves.com