Cleansing and Detoxifying After the Holidays – A Healthy Way to Start the New Year!
- January 5, 2016
- Posted by: Brian Heater
- Category: General Health
When the holiday and new year’s parties are over it’s usually a very good idea get to work and repair some minor damage that we have done to our body (and for some of us our mind as well). Most people tend to gain a few lbs during the holidays. Some of us also come away with a slight feeling of depression…we had a great time, a little vacation for many, and now it’s back to the norm. Not only that, we tend to digest a mix of unhealthy foods and drink that are not the norm. Even if you are health conscious it is difficult to avoid some of the special holiday foods. And we usually take second helpings! It’s also our natural tendency to bend or forget some of the rules of healthy eating.
The good news is we can regain our health and get back on track! We can take simple steps to gain back our health and overall balance. And the first step and best way to do this is through a body cleanse.
Cleansing and detoxifying your body is essential to regain your energy. And it does not have to be difficult or stressful to do so. With a few simple steps and some focus you can get your health back on track and feel great in the process.
So how do we go about doing this?
I am going to divide cleansing into three areas: 1) short-term cleansing; 2) longer-term intensive cleansing; and 3) mental cleansing & stress reduction
I. Short Term Cleansing – There are several ways to do this. Basically a short term cleanse usually lasts from 3 – 10 days. There are 3 ways in which I recommend a short term cleanse
1) Fasting – A simple 3 – 5 day juice fast can be a simple and effective way to cleanse your body of holiday toxins. Green organic juice is a great way to go, but you can also do a more intensive juice fast. Water fasts are not recommended unless you are experienced. Avoiding solid food for several days can help clean out and purify the system. (The more intensive 10 Day Master Cleanse is discussed below)
2) Cleansing Kit – There are many 7-10 day cleansing kits that you can buy online and at the natural foods store. These kits require a specific diet, but you can still eat many types of foods. Cleansing kits are a great method for people on the go or to “kit start” your system into a healthy rhythm. I recommend the Renew Life products as a great place to start. They are very effective and affordable. Check out what they have to offer
3) Cleansing Diet – Avoiding the “poison food” (see below) and focusing on the good foods is a great way to live and cleanse yourself. Organic vegetables are a great diet and their alkaline nature will help cleanse your body. There are many great cleansing foods. See my recommended books on my Cleansing & Detox web page for some ideas and info on a cleansing diet.
4) Combo of these 3 – Many people that cleanse combine some form of all three of these techniques. Find something that makes sense to you and works with your rhythm. Try a few different ways and find what works for you.
II. Long Term Cleansing – This is a more intensive process that lasts anywhere from 10- 60 days or longer. These are cleanses that require a bit more focus, but they are wonderful if you want or need a deep cleanse and have the time to do so. I will discuss three ways:
1) 10 Day Master Cleanse – This is an extremely popular and effective way to do a deep cleanse. It basically requires a 10 day lemon juice fast (with a few added ingredients) and is very intensive. It requires focus and discipline, but the outcome is great. To do this first read and study, there are specific techniques to do this type of cleanse. I recommend “The 10 Day Master Cleanse Secrets” eBook to guide you.
2) 30-60 day Herbal Cleanse – This is less intensive, but requires some discipline to go 60 days. These cleansing kits will do a more intensive cleansing than the short term kits, in particular with Colon cleansing. If you have the time and money give this a try. There are some great cleansing products out there. Do some research or ask a professional. I recommend two excellent natural products on my website. The Renew Life Cleansing Products and The Ultimate Colon Cleanse . These are all natural easy to use and effective cleansing products. Check out their websites for more free info on their products and on the importance of cleansing.
3) 30-60 day Food Cleanse – This focus is on changing your diet completely. Some people recommend a raw foods diet, others a green foods or alkaline diet. And there are combinations of various foods cleanses. This requires some discipline, but the benefits are great. Do some research on what might work best for you. Remember, the foods you avoid are as important as the foods you eat. Again, please check my Cleansing & Detox webpage for some great info on getting you started.
III. Mental Cleansing and Stress Reduction – It is essential that you also work on the mental, spiritual and emotional aspects of yourself. Holiday time and winter time for us in the Northern Hemisphere can bring upon added mental stress, fatigue, depression and other emotional challenges. Here are a few easy tips on what you can do to help:
1) Exercise – Get your muscles moving, get that blood flowing. Exercise is a great way to reduce stress and get the brain moving. A nice daily walk is a great way to start. Get the heart rate up a bit and sweat.
2) Take Time for Yourself – Take some quiet time to relax, go on a walk, work on a relaxing and joyful project, sit and enjoy some tea. Don’t always be on the go…slow down and relax.
3) Meditation or Quiet Thought – Take some time for focused thought. Meditation is a great tool and technique for you to let go of stress. It does not have to be religious or spiritual if you are not comfortable with that, but it is a great psychological technique for healing and strength. Give it a try.15 minutes a day can do some good. Need some help? See my Meditation web page for a quick start guide.
4) Get Sun or Vitamin D – Vitamin D is essential for our moods and our health. Direct sun is best, full spectrum sun lamps are also good, vitamin d supplement can also help.
5) Therapeutic activity – Don’t be afraid to seek someone to talk to or some type of activity that might help you deal with depression or stress. Find an healthy activity to join. Try yoga, tai chi, art or dance. Some people benefit also from hypnotherapy, acupuncture, massage or other alternative activities.
Last Important Tip – During a cleanse it is important to avoid the “Poison Foods” – that is refined oils, refined sugars, processed foods, foods with preservatives and chemicals, most white flour wheat products and other white processed products etc. Need help with this? See my website article on “What Foods to Avoid” for more tips.
Not sure which Method is best for you? Sign up for my Free monthly newsletter & article. I will have a new article each month giving you new valuable info on the various methods of natural health & well-being.
Please browse my website transformingoursleves.com for more information on Natural Health, Cleansing and Well-Being. To your health!
Brian M Heater